Skip to main content

A Great Day on the Great Ridge

Given how much of my family culture comes from spending time together in the mountains, it's no surprise that when my family come to visit me in Sheffield, we don't actually spend any time in Sheffield at all.

The novelty for me is that the Peak District is the one place I know better than my parents. They've given me so much knowledge about the Lake District - you don't get to name every mountain in a view without some teaching! - and this is the root of what has made me educate myself about the Peaks. "Educating myself" makes it sound very formal...the truth is, I know things about the Peaks because it's a landscape that I can't keep out of. When I'm there, I want to feel as immersed as possible - part of the landscape, if you will - and for me this means learning all the place names, poring over my maps and reading endless blog posts of walks in the hills.

So far, this has made walking in the Peaks a pretty independent experience. The university has some fantastic walking and mountaineering groups, but for me the adventure is in exploring, and that's something that going with a large group of people, some of whom are strangers, doesn't have the flexibility to allow. What this does mean, however, is that I've now gained the experience and the knowledge to give the people I can drag out with me a proper experience.


The weather was incredible on the day I decided to take my Mum down the Great Ridge: Mam Tor, Hollin's Cross, Lose Hill. It was one of those days when you genuinely ask yourself what you've done to deserve such weather: a bright November day with a sun which was hot but clouds which gorgeously patterned the landscape in shadow, with little wind and a bite to the air that made you want to keep moving. The hills looked sharp, defined by that clarity which Winter air brings; their flanks patterned gold and auburn with the turning trees.

The accessibility of Mam Tor blew me away. My Dad is 77 years old and he's been climbing mountains for as long as he's been able to walk, but things like that get harder when you've got two replacement hips and a dodgy ankle, and it was wonderful to be able to walk to a mountain top with him.

As I said - we really couldn't have wished for better weather. The Hope Valley was spread out before us, and I'm a sucker for a route where you can see the whole of the walk before you walk into it. When I picked this walk for us, I'll be honest, I wanted to show off the Peak District. I wanted something simple, which we could walk together without having to worry over much about navigating or losing the path or any actual hiking stuff, just somewhere where we could be together and appreciate the landscape. Great Ridge, you delivered in spades.

It was a Saturday, and the ridge was full. Sometimes I hate it when routes are busy, but this wasn't one of those days; people were making themselves at home and drinking tea from thermos', everyone was greeting everyone, dogs were absolutely everywhere. The whole walk was just full of people simply there to enjoy the landscape, together.



If I had one complaint about the entire walk, it's that I got incredibly muddy on the walk down, from lifting my dog over stiles. As complaints go, it's a very tiny one, and honestly unless your dog is about 30kg and loves mud, like mine, I'd say you're pretty safe.

So then, advice for the day: wait for a crisp Winter afternoon, and go walk the Great Ridge. Get someone to drop you off at the top of Winnat's Pass and pick you up in Hope, or just lengthen your route a bit and go on a round trip from Castleton or Hope. You'll have a brilliant time, I promise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peak Accessibility: The Hope Valley Line

It may have become clear by now that I'm a student. If not - I am, at the University of Sheffield. The stereotype is fully fulfilled: I don't have much money, I don't have a car, I like cheap things and discounts...and as a result, I am incredibly grateful for the Hope Valley Railway Line. These small, hourly trains allow me access to the place that keeps me sane, the Peak District National Park. I don't know if any of you come from Sheffield, but if you do, or if you live nearby or visit relatives there (or have never been, in which case here's your chance to come!) - save the planet, leave the car at home, get this train.  Sheffield has absolutely fantastic transport links, and there’s no better time to explore them than right now. I know, I know, it’s Winter, and you’re cold, penguins have set up camp in your kitchen, and you don’t remember the last time you wore less than three layers, but hear me out. Even in the depths of British Winter, there’s no place

Country Roads (Take Me Home)

I am not, and I don't think I ever will be, a 'city girl'. I was brought up in Hertfordshire which, as I found when I first arrived at university, is apparently a county seen as 'basically London innit?' No. For the most part, no, it is not. My Hertfordshire has very little to do with London, or any other city for that matter. My Hertfordshire is a small town with a street of shops and a street of restaurants, a wide town park, and beyond it fields on fields of crops, spattered here and there with tiny villages of increasingly ridiculous names (my favourite is 'Loudwater', because it truly belongs to a Tolkien novel). It's home to narrow country lanes and wide open spaces and the occasional forest. Not well known (9/10 people assume that I said 'Herefordshire' when they ask where I come from), nor very large, and certainly not a 'city' place, it has put deep roots in me that long to be surrounded by skies and grass, not buildings.